14 Kasım 2012 Çarşamba

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard - Review

To contact us Click HERE

The Blurb: The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia… Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper -The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother.Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.(From Goodreads)
The Cover: This cover is so gorgeous! It's dark and mysterious and that dress is amazing. It was one of the first things that got me interested in the book.
The Review: Magic! Grimoires! Zombies! Petticoats! Something Strange and Deadly is seriously everything I could want in a book. It's the perfect mix of YA, historical fiction, and the paranormal, with a dash of romance thrown in for good measure. I was beyond excited when I heard about this book, and thankfully, I wasn't let down.
Susan Dennard has written such a fun and humorous book, and I think that it's also a great book to introduce historical fiction to a YA audience. The book is sort of a combination of The Luxe and The Parasol Protectorate  series's, both of which I adored. Something Strange and Deadly features some interesting characters that I really wanted to get to know, particularly Eleanor, our heroine. Starting off as a somewhat prim and proper not-quite-debutante, Eleanor soon transforms into a total bad ass who learns to disregard the strict Victorian society's expectations of her, and of women in general. She is a fantastic role model and a much needed burst of fresh air for the YA lit scene, which seems to constantly churn out love-struck desperatos when it comes to female leads (in my opinion, anyway) these days.
Something Strange and Deadly is an unusual and exciting book, action-packed and definitely worth the read. It had me rushing through the pages to get to the end, and I actually stayed up until 3am to finish it. I loved that the ending was bittersweet; I hate books which tie everything up nice and neatly in an unbleievable kind of way, so I was glad that didn't happen with this one. I cannot wait for the next book and will be getting my hands on it as soon as it comes out (which is in 2013 sadly!).


(Thank you to Harper for providing me with an ARC copy of this book!)
I seriously LOVED this book. 4 Roses!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder