26 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

Interview with Jason Lapeyre, director of "Cold Blooded" and "I Declare War"

To contact us Click HERE
.

When I tell you that Jason Lapeyre’s children’s war fable I Declare War was my second favourite film of this year’s Fantastic Fest, it sounds like a backhanded compliment. That is, until I tell that he also directed my favourite, the tense, violent crime thriller Cold Blooded. Immensely talented and impressively prolific – in addition to the two fiction films, he’s also got a documentary making the festival circuit – the 39 year old writer/director from Canada has come out on nowhere in 2012, and is certainly worth keeping an eye on in the future.
In the wake Fantastic Fest, Lapeyre was generous enough to the take time during his current shoot (that’s film number four, for those of you counting at home) to answer some question for Moviedex via email. Check out our spoiler free discussion, below.
Tom Clift: This year you’ve gone from essentially no major credits to suddenly three feature films. Moreover, all three have experienced a great deal of success, with Cold Blooded picking up the Best Canadian Film Award at the Fantastia Film Festival in Montreal, and I Declare War winning the Audience Award just a few months later at Fantastic Fest.  Can you talk a little bit about your experiences and travels over the past twelve months? 
Jason Lapeyre: I’ve been screenwriting and directing short films and music videos for about ten years now, but yes, all my feature films were sort of triggered one right after another in a 12-month period, for various reasons. It’s been an intense ride!  But very rewarding as well, as you can imagine. Basically, I had been preparing to shoot my documentary Faceless for about a year when Cold Blooded was financed and we shot it in December of 2010. Immediately after that I resumed my plans to shoot Faceless and shot it in February of 2011. Then I was approached by the producers of I Declare War to make that film in July, just four months later. And in fact, I actually made ANOTHER film before I Declare War started – I produced the short film The Captured Bird, directed by Jovanka Vuckovic and Executive Produced by Guillermo del Toro, which has now played in almost 40 festivals and won Best Short Film in a couple of them.  So yeah… that was a busy year. 
Keep Reading at Moviedex »

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder