29 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

Diary of Awards Season 2012: The Waiting Room

To contact us Click HERE
As a founding member of the San Francisco Film Critics Circle, I will vote for my 11th year in our annual awards. I'm now receiving all kinds of screeners in the mail, and I'm catching up with likely candidates that I missed during the year, or movies that haven't yet shown, or movies that I loved and would like to see again. I'd like for this to be a casual series of random thoughts, rather than actual reviews.
It's always a headache to navigate the year's slew of depressing documentaries. Thanks to some interest from my friend Joe, I attended an Academy screening of The Waiting Room, a movie I was not looking forward to seeing, since I'm going to lose my health care in one month.
But the movie quickly won me over. When you're sitting in a waiting room, panic can set in because you're sick and you have no idea how many hours you're going to be sitting there. You can begin to feel like the hospital staff has forgotten about you or does not care. Peter Nicks' film lets us know that they do -- Nurse Assistant Cynthia Y. Johnson is the movie's unsung heroine -- and what actually happens that makes things take so long. Even people without insurance get the care that they need in this film (or most of them, anyway).
Nicks goes for the observational, fly-on-the-wall style employed by the great Frederick Wiseman (Boxing Gym). There are no talking heads, and the subjects don't even seem to be aware of the camera. Nicks explained how he shot for several weeks and edited to make it seem as if the film takes place over the course of a day. This could seem manipulative, but the film's flow makes it all seem totally natural. It had no resistance from me.
Currently, I'm including this in the Best Documentary category at #3, just behind This Is Not a Film and Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder