6 Şubat 2013 Çarşamba

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - Review

To contact us Click HERE

Zombies AND romance?! I knew that I would love this book from the start...
I discovered Warm Bodies in a sort of unusual way. I was watching MTV with my sister one day when an amazing trailer for a new movie came on, and it really ticked all the boxes... Zombies - check. Comedy - check. A new dystopian world - check. Braaaains - check. Nicholas Hoult - double check! So I Googled the release date and discovered that not only is Warm Bodies a soon-to-be-released movie featuring that babin' guy from Skins, it's a book too! So I ordered it on my iPhone right away, and here I am now, reviewing it.

R is a zombie for the new generation of zombie lovers. He has no memories, can barely speak, and he eats human brains for dinner, but he has dreams. He doesn't enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to old records. After biting into his latest victim, Perry, R is flooded with Perry's memories and is driven by a previously unknown need to save Julie, Perry's beautiful blonde girlfriend. Taking her back to his zombie lair, a quirky and unexpected romance slowly begins to develop... 
Warm Bodies is a very modern dystopian romance. It's hard to say whether this is a YA book or one written for adults, though I know it will definitely be enjoyed by both groups. Isaac Marion is a skilled author, one who is clearly a very talented writer with a brilliant way with words. R is 100% the best (internally) spoken zombie I've ever come across! The whole world of Warm Bodies, both zombie and human alike, was also so well developed and uniquely imagined by Marion, and this made the book all the more realistic and enjoyable for me.

R is definitely one of my favourite male characters in YA! Though not your stereotypical good-looking male lead, his intelligence and inquisitiveness ensure he stands out from the plethora of characters I've read about, and it was nice to read Warm Bodies through his point of view, though I would have liked to get into Julie's head at times and see why on earth she was falling for a zombie, eloquent as he was!
And did I mention that there are zombies in this book? (ha.) Loads of them! Without giving too much away, I love that there were two different types of zombies. The age old fight between young and old takes on a whole new twist in Warm Bodies, and the budding war between the Boneys and the other zombies, and the possibility of a cure for their zombification adds an interesting dynamic to what could have been a straight paranormal romance. 
I'm so glad I decided to begin the year reading such a touchingly peculiar book, and I am eagerly awaiting to see what Marion has coming next.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder