28 Eylül 2012 Cuma

Fury by Elizabeth Miles - Review

To contact us Click HERE

The Synopsis - It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better-the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls-three beautiful, mysterious girls-are here to choose who will pay. Em and Chase have been chosen.(From Goodreads)
The Cover - This cover is seriously stunning. In person, the white has a subtle shimmer to it that reminds me of snow, and the red stands out so well. I really like the simplicity of it all.
The Review - The cover is what drew me to this book. The synopsis on the book itself doesn't really give too much away about the plot, so initially I thought that this was going to be a paranormal romance. Boy, was I wrong! Fury is a dark and somewhat twisted tale of revenge, the choices we make, and the consequences of those choices.
I loved the cold, wintry feel of this book. Set in icy Maine, Fury is filled with gorgeous descriptions of lush snow and freezing, stormy weather. Living in boiling hot Adelaide myself, I adore any book that can transport me to a white winter wonderland, and Elizabeth Miles did just that. The cold weather is also reflected in the plot; Fury  truly is a story of cold, remorseless revenge, and one that will stay with me for a while.
In many of the reviews I have read about this book, a lot of people have said that they didn't like main characters Em and Chase. While both were flawed human beings who did do some very nasty things, each was well rounded and not all bad. They were both so relatable, and I was particularly interested in Em's story. It's not often that we see things from the perspective of the "other woman" in young adult novels, so having an insight into her tough situation and troubled thoughts was something that did appeal to me. I also sympathised with Chase's story, and as more was revealed about his home life I could really see where he was coming from. All in all, I liked both characters a lot, though I do wish that Chase wouldn't have been quite so whipped!
 A fast-paced, absorbing read, and I was pulled into Fury from the very first pages of that totally intense prologue. The plot never dragged once for me, and I was on the edge of my seat, and honestly pretty creeped out, for much of the novel. I found myself rushing through the last few chapters, and the dramatic ending was not what I expected at all! Though I do wish that we would have learnt a bit more about about the Furies themselves, this is the first book in a trilogy, so I'm sure that there is much more about them to come.
Fury is an electric, exciting story and a powerfully haunting debut novel. I can't wait to see what else Elizabeth Miles has in store for this series, and will definitely be getting my hands on the second book in the series, Envy, as soon as possible!
One of the best paranormal YA books I've read all year. 4 Roses!


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder